G4G Boston + the AIDS Walk & Run
- G4G Boston + AIDS Walk & Run of Boston
June 2, 2019
7:00 am - 1:00 pm
What: The AIDS Walk & Run of Boston
When: Sunday, June 2, from 7:00 a.m. to (appx) 1:00 p.m.
Simple Special Requirement: Please check in HERE via our free tickets AND sign with the AIDS Walk & Run at this link http://info.aac.org/goto/GayForGood_Boston2019 so that both G4G and the event organizers know you are joining this event and you will get a t-shirt in your favorite size!
Where: The DCR Hatch Memorial Shell is the center of this event, but we also may be posted along the course to cheer on participants and/or give them water!
What: Join the Walk, New England’s largest HIV/AIDS fundraising awareness event! For many years, G4G volunteers have helped guide runners/walkers on their way along the course, pointing the way and rambunctiously cheering them on! (YES! Dancing is OK, and they actually issue us noisemakers and pom-poms! Also, you get to wear a bright yellow shirt that says OBEY ME.) Together with the AIDS Action Committee, the leader in the fight against HIV/AIDS in Massachusetts, we continue to work towards the goals of Zero HIV-related deaths, Zero new infections, and Zero Stigma!
What to wear: Dress for the weather, as we’ll be outside the whole time. Festive hats are not required but much appreciated!
Where to meet: Look for our team leader Jinx near the check-in table on the riverside near the DCR Hatch Memorial Shell; she’ll be wearing a bright rainbow-striped furry hat with ears so you can find her!
THIS JUST IN: More details about what our team will be doing to help out!
Arrival Time: 7:30 AM (Note: G4G has set a 7:00 a.m. start to allow travel time and gather everybody.)
Arrival Location: Volunteer-Check in, DCR Hatch Shell, Charles River Esplanade, 1 David Mugar Way, Parking is EXTREMELY limited. We recommend that you take public transportation.
Directions to the Hatch Shell:
By public transport: Take any MBTA Red Line train to the Charles Street/MGH station. Take the footbridge over Storrow Drive to the Charles River side and go West along Storrow Drive. The Hatch Shell is a short walk from here. Alternatively, take any Green Line train to the Arlington Street Station. Walk along the Public Garden/Arlington Street to Beacon Street. Cross over Beacon Street and take the Arthur Fiedler Footbridge over Storrow Drive to the Hatch Shell.
Day of Event Information
- Your lead will assign you an intersection in your zone and give you a map with your course marshal zone color and exact location on the course marked on the map.
- Each position will be responsible for encouraging and directing Walkers to the next intersection. It is important you understand your duties before you are dropped off. Direct any questions to your zone lead or the Volunteer Coordinator.
- The vans will leave at 8:45AM and 9:15AM. The first part of Orange and last part of Blue zones may walk to their positions. The rest will take the vans for drop off. Please be sure to board the van with your zone, following your zone captain.
- If you see a Stricken Walker, please alert the nearest police officer to radio the Boston EMS for medical assistance. You may assist the walker off the course, but it is essential you return immediately to your position.
- Assignments that require directing people to stay in a specific traffic lane or remain on the sidewalk are very important. Volunteers should be loud and aggressive. For the safety of the Walkers please make sure they follow your prompts.
- Please return equipment when finished with position, to the Hatch Shell Volunteer Tent.
Most important of all –HAVE FUN!